Japan Airlines (JAL) extends its condolence to those affected by Typhoon Haiyan that hit the central Philippine islands on November 8, 2013. The airline decided to offer its support and assistance such as by donation, providing free transport of relief goods and aid personnel from Japan to Philippines as well as appealing for a mileage donation drive to raise funds.
The local authority said the death toll might be more than 10,000 and thousands of houses had been damaged or destroyed in large areas along the coast by the storm surge of Typhoon Haiyan. JAL has been operating flights between Japan and Philippines and decided to support the aid efforts in devastated area.
Donation from JAL
JAL donated JPY10 million to the people in devastated area of Philippines.
Transport of Relief Goods
JAL will transport relief goods and supplies at no charge from November 12 to December 13, 2013. Relief goods and supplies will be carried as air freight and under the conditions specified below:
– The shipper and consignee must be governments, embassies, local municipalities and agencies of the United Nations (such as UNICEF) etc.
– Contact information of the shipper and consignee must be provided in detail.
– The arrival point must be Manila International Airport and the departure point must be Tokyo (Narita) Airport.
– Arrangements for customs clearance and surface transport at the departure point and arrival point must be completed by the shipper beforehand.
– Shipments must not contain dangerous goods, live animals, or other restricted items.
– The weight of relief goods and supplies should be within one ton for each transport.
– Shipment is subject to space availability.
Transport of Relief Aid Personnel
JAL will also provide free air transport on its flights between Tokyo (Narita) and Manila for persons supporting local relief operations and coordinating volunteer activities who belong to the authorized non-profit organizations introduced by Japan Platform (JPF)*1, starting from November 12 to December 13, 2013.
Mileage Donation Drive
JAL is offering its full support to devastated area in Philippines and is calling on its JAL Mileage Bank (JMB) members to donate miles to raise funds necessary for relief work.
– Application period:@November 14, 2013 ~ December15, 2013
– Mileage for application: Donation will be accepted in units of 3,000 miles, as an amount of JPY 3, 000 for donation. JMB member can make mileage donations on JAL’s website or by telephone to each region’s JAL Mileage Bank Center.
Source / Author: JAL